Shoulder Maintenance & Rehabilitation
◦ An intricate part of road maintenance coordinating with other projects.
◦ Provides shoulder stability and a smooth transition from the road surface.
Use of Best Management Practices protect habitat, waterways, and drinking water sources.
◦ Sweeping and cleaning the roadway improves traction for vehicles and for bicycle passage on paved shoulder areas
as well as eliminating material migrating to sensitive areas.
◦ Tons of snow and ice are removed from county roads during winter storm events.
◦ A chemical anti-icing program has been initiated to lower the use of salt/sand mix, especially in watersheds.
◦ Maintenance activities and budgets are continually reviewed with attention to the changing regulatory environment.
◦ The ESA and the Clean Water Act are factors in long-range planning goals.