Back to Whatcom County home page Whatcom County | Departments | Contacts |  Help |  Search
 District Courtheader image
  D.C. Home  | About the Court

Court Services


About District Court

Court Rules

Find My Court Date


Online Infraction Program

Online Payments
Online Payment Logos

Anti-Harassment/Protection Order Resources

Civil Procedure Information


Juror Information

Name Changes

Public Defender Applications

Probation / Pretrial

Small Claims

More Information


Name Changes

Name Change Guidelines

Where to file:

A person desiring to change his or her name or that of a child or ward may file a Petition in the judicial district in which he or she resides. 

When to file at Whatcom County District Court:

  • 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (except holidays) and closed from 12:00 to 1:00 daily due to reduced staffing levels.
  • Hearings are held in open court Fridays at 1:30 p.m. 


Effective 6-12-14, the filing fee is $165, cash only. This is a non-refundable fee, which includes the fee to record the name change with the Whatcom County Auditor and an additional fee to provide you with two certified copies of the Name Change Order.    

How to file:

  • Petitioner must fill out a Petition for Name Change.  You may download a copy of the Petition by clicking here.
  • Petitioner must appear in court for the hearing.  The name cannot be changed by mail. 
  • Bring picture ID with you for your hearing.

If you are requesting a name change for a minor child, it is suggested that you bring the following information:

  1. Picture ID for yourself, and for your child (if available, e.g. school ID card). 
  2. A copy of the child's birth certificate and social security card.
  3. An affidavit signed by both the child's legal parents agreeing and consenting to the name change; or, alternatively, information or documentation showing the measures you have taken to notify the other parent of the requested change and the date and time of the hearing. 
  4. It is suggested that minors age 10 and above be present at the court hearing. 

A separate petition must be filed for each name changed. Each petition filed will be charged a filing fee of $165.00.

If you are seeking a sealed name change order under the Domestic Violence Prevention Act, you must contact the Whatcom County Superior Court for filing information.