Lynden Levee Rehabilitation and Channel Realignment


The project will:

  • Realign a channel that runs adjacent to the Lynden Wastewater Treatment plant. 
  • Improve the reliability of flood protection to the Lynden wastewater treatment plant and adjacent floodplain areas.
  • Enhance habitat in the newly created channel. 
  • Create additional habitat for salmon seeking refuge during flood events.

The project is being constructed in conjunction with a levee improvement project by the US Army Corps of Engineers. The USACE project includes replacing two existing culverts that penetrate the levee with a new culvert and fish-friendly flood gate and restoring the levee crest and erosion protection. 

Traffic Impacts

During construction, moderate to high truck traffic is expected along Hannegan Road and 6th Street in Lynden. Flaggers will direct traffic at the intersection during high truck traffic times. No road closures are expected.

Contact Us

  1. Deb Johnson, PE

    Project Engineer
    (360) 778-6288

    322 North Commercial Street, Suite 120
    Bellingham, Washington 98225

Project Overview:

  • Status: Awarding Contract
  • Schedule: USACE Construction June-July 2021;  County Construction July – September, 2021
  • Construction Contractor: Strider Construction 

Levee Before February 2020 Flood


Levee During February 2020 Flood


Pond Overtopping During February 2020 Flood

Pond Overtopping_Feb2020

Existing channel has steep banks and a narrow eroding berm separating it from the pond. Project will move channel and stabilize berm.

Existing channel conditions
  1. Funding
  2. Project Documents

The channel realignment is a Whatcom County project. 

  • Total project costs are estimated at $625,000 (design, permitting, and construction). 
    • Construction is estimated to cost $500,000. 
    • 80% of this project is funded through a Floodplains by Design grant, with the remaining 20% coming from the Flood Control Zone District, Lynden-Everson Subzone, and the City of Lynden. 
  • The US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is conducting an adjacent project that is estimated to cost $1 million and is 80% funded by the USACE and the remaining 20% coming from the Flood Control Zone District.