National Flood Insurance Program Claims Information

If you have a flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and your property was damaged by the November flood events, there are several steps (listed below) you need to take as soon as possible.

Essential steps to file a successful NFIP claim:

If your property is determined to be “substantially damaged”

  • If your property is determined to be "substantially damaged" then:
    • Repairs need to be made in accordance with applicable flood hazard reduction building standards (e.g., elevated above the Flood Protection Elevation for your property), and 
    • You may qualify for up to $30,000 additional Increased Cost of Compliance Coverage (ICC) to help you bring your home up to current flood standards and reduce the potential for future flood damages.
    • If your property is determined by a building official from your jurisdiction to have “substantial damage,” then you must submit a proof of loss and substantial damage determination to your insurance adjuster within 60 days of the date of loss to access the ICC coverage. If you need additional time for filing your claim it is possible to request an extension of the filing deadline. Talk to your insurance agent or adjuster for more information.

Determining if Your Property is "Substantially Damaged" (i.e. qualifies for ICC funding):

  • To determine if your property is “substantially damaged” (i.e. qualifies for ICC funding):  
    • If you live outside city limits, in unincorporated Whatcom County, contact Jason Buehler or  (360) 778-6305 or Travis Bouma or (360) 778-6293 in Public Works to schedule a damage assessment.
    • If you live within a city, contact your city’s planning department. 
      • Everson: Contact Jack Faulkner (360) 966-3411
      • Sumas: Contact Sunny Aulakh (360) 988-5711
      • Lynden: Contact Dave Timmer (360) 255-5514
      • Ferndale: Contact Mike Cerbone (360) 685-2376
      • Blaine: Contact Stacey Clauson (360) 332-8311 x 3332
      • Nooksack: Contact Bob Skillman (360) 966-2531

 Additional resources for more information: