Fares Resume May 18 for Lummi Island Ferry with Collection/Punch Card Changes
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 11, 2020
Contact: Rich Hudson, Senior Ferry Master
Phone: (360) 778-6200
Beginning Monday, May 18, fare collection will resume onboard the Whatcom Chief. In an effort to maintain social distancing and keep both customers and employees safe, Lummi Island Ferry staff will no longer accept cash. In addition, ferry crew will no longer sell multi-ride punch cards onboard the Whatcom Chief. Below are the procedures we have implemented.
Single ride fare updates:
Multi-ride punch card updates:
- No cash will be accepted.
- Payments accepted by credit/debit cards and checks.
- Please have your fare ready when the purser gets to your window.
- To limit exposure for both parties, please roll down your window just enough to easily pass your fare to the purser.
Purchasing full fare punch cards:
- Punch card holders may mark a punch off their card when the purser gets to your window to collect the fare.
- IMPORTANT: Do not mark off a punch until the purser instructs you to do so.
- Incorrectly marked off punches will not be refunded.
· No punch card sales on the ferry.
· The Bellingham Civic Center Annex is closed to the public and not available for ticket sales at this time.
· The final on site punch card sale at the Lummi Island ferry office will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday, May 18. This is the last opportunity to purchase punch cards in person. All punch cards, including needs-based cards, may be purchased at this event.
· The on-island punch card sale scheduled for June 3 has been cancelled.
- Please purchase your ferry punch cards online. From the ferry homepage at www.whatcomcounty.us/ferry, navigate to the online purchasing area of the website using the links on the left hand side of the page.
- It can take up to 7 days to receive your punch card when purchasing with a credit card online.
- You can also purchase punch cards thru the mail. Use the link at www.whatcomcounty.us/ferry to navigate to the purchase by mail webpage using the links on the left hand side of the page, download and print the mail in form, fill out the form, then mail it in with your payment.
Purchasing needs-based punch cards:
- It can take up to 10 days to receive your punch card when purchasing with a check thru the mail.
- During this time current needs-based customers may purchase these special tickets using a downloadable online form.
- Please note that it can take up to 10 days to receive your punch card.
- Only persons currently in the needs-based program can purchase these cards. No new needs-based participants can be accepted at this time.
The Public Works Department would like to thank everyone in advance for their cooperation and patience during this transition.